Town of Wallburg, NC
The Wall family played a prominent role in the settlement of the community in northeast Davidson County.
By 1860 Samuel W. Wall the second generation of the family in the area had a coach making business with $600 worth of capital investment, three employees and was producing ten buggies and carriages worth $1,100 annually.
By 1890 at least one of his sons was working with him, and Branson's North Carolina Business Directory of that year lists 'Wagons, Abbott's Creek, S. W. Wall & Son."
Samuel served the people of the state for over twenty years, and the community which grew up around his farm and shop at the turn of the century was named Wallburg.
Two of Samuel's sons, Charles Moses and George, founded their own firm, the Wall Lumber Company, in the late 1880s, and began to prosper by providing processed lumber to the Lexington and High Point furniture companies. Their saw and planing mill transformed the raw lumber purchased from local farmers into planks, wooden boxes, and some finished products such as couch frames.
In 1912 the company had become so successful that a branch was opened in Southmont, in south Davidson County. In 1918 C. M. Wall moved to Lexington and founded the C. M. Wall & Sons Lumber Company, thereby dissolving his partnership with George.
C. M.'s company soon opened branches in
Statesville and Thomasville, and furnished thousands of carloads of box shooks
to the textile mills of nearby cities. George continued to operate the lumber
company in Wallburg on a reduced scale in the same factory until 1933, and then
in the barn behind his house until 1936 when the barn was destroyed by fire.
About 1940, in failing health, George sold out to the Tuttle Lumber Company.
In 1888, George married Hattie Charles and made his first land purchase, a forty-acre tract which he purchased from his father for $400. 7 The acreage adjoined land already owned by his brother C. M. The property description makes no mention of the Salem Road which now intersects the property, and the earliest reference to the road, now called N.C. 109, is in a 1910 deed. 8 The road, leading from Thomasville to Winston-Salem, must have been constructed around the turn of the century.9 George and Hattie built a plain two-story frame house on their land, and began their family. By 1896, both the family finances and family size had increased to the point that a new residence was constructed. The first house was moved to an adjacent site, and between July and December of that year the present Wall residence was built. lO
The two houses now occupy adjacent corners of the intersection of N.C. 109 and the Motsinger Road (S.R. 1723). All building supervision was apparently done by George himself, using local workmen. The lumber most likely came from the family company. According to family tradition, the stained glass windows were ordered from High Point, and it is likely that much of the woodwork, including the doors, moldings, and some of the mantels, came from there also. Hattie is said to have designed the woodwork, and Turner Wall, who worked with his brothers in the lumber company, is credited with the construction of the most ornate features, such as the staircase and some of the mantels.
George and Hattie raised eleven children in the house, and lived there until their deaths, which occurred in 1943, only six weeks apart.
In 1938 they had deeded the house to their daughter Clara and her husband Clay Vann Teague, who were living with them.
The Teagues continued to reside in the house until his death in the 1970s, and Mrs. Teague lived there.until her deaths.